I don’t really feel able to say a lot about this city yet, but below are some more or less unfiltered thoughts that ran through my mind today:
- this whole city seems professional
- a lot of guys in suits (just sayin’)
- ambassies and IO HQs everywhere (in a wild guess at causality i’d say there’s a positive correlation to 2.)
- cars are bigger over here (not necessarily the stereotypical American SUV, but simply not so many of the tiny Fiats, Smarts and Polos we have in Europe)
- It’s the law: signs saying that “it’s the law” seem to be a sufficient explanation for any rule or regulation on might encounter. Is that why people oppose a strong government? Because the only explanation they get is “it’s the law”? What happened to good old European enlightenment?
- the White House is much smaller than it looks like on TV. Actually I think it’s tiny, or maybe I just had a hyper-inflated idea of the building’s size.